Week 1: 02/20/2020
- Meet and greet – introductions and project ideas
- Mohammad Asghar – Printable pets to help alleviate homesickness
- Jeffery Yang – module pieces for board games
- Louis Kettelberger – custom Nintendo Switch Docs
- Simon Weisberg – new surfboard fin designs
- 3D Printing: Transforming creativity for the ‘4th Industrial Revolution’?
- Evolution of 3D printing
- Begin building our 3D printers
Creality Ender 3 assembly and pro build tips:
Week 2: 02/27/2020
- #3DBenchy file – the ultimate bench-marking and test file for 3D printer calibration
- r/3Dprinting – Reddit sub for 3D printing that could be a useful resource
- Some great prints to attempt while fine tuning your printer that will enhance it:
- Discussion – 3D printing history
- Discussion – build progress
- For next meetup: Have an initial prototype printed and ready to share.
- There is a great, short, and simple tutorial available via LinkedIn Learning named ‘Learning Tinkercad’. It’s only an hour and half long and highly recommended: Log Into LinkedIn to watch.
- Ultimaker Cura – Slicer Software
- Quality > Layer Height: 0.2 mm, can experiment with 0.1 mm for better resolution
- Infill > 15-25% for most prints, experiment with different patterns but I typically go with honeycomb/hexagon
- Material > print temp: 220, build plate temp: 60
- Support > Generate Support: yes, most slicers allow you to set an overhead angle but I don’t see that in Cura. I go with 45 – 55 degrees.
- Build Plate Adhesion > Raft, We didn’t talk much about this but a raft is just a base that your model prints on top of. It helps ensure adhesion to the bed and you pull it off after the print
- Most other setting can be left at the default values but you’re free to experiment
Week 3: 03/12/2020
- Guest: Carolyn Strobel, Director – Thought Into Action
- Project Progression – where are you and where will you take your project?
- TinkerCAD – tips and tricks